NORA SPRINGS, Iowa (AP) - A 29-year-old man has been hospitalized after accidentally shooting himself in a foot while hunting deer in northern Iowa.
The Iowa Natural Resources Department says Jeffrey Esser, of rural Mason City, was wounded around 4 p.m. Sunday while hunting in heavy brush southeast of Nora Springs in Floyd County.
The department says Esser's 12-gauge shotgun accidentally fired, hitting him in the right foot. He was taken to North Iowa Mercy Medical Center in Mason City.
The department says that so far this year it has received a total of 11 reports of personal injury hunting-related incidents.
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Pocan no longer attending inauguration
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- New faces breathe new life into debate on Sunday booze ban
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday