DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A Des Moines couple lauded for their adoption of four children have been charged with child endangerment.
The Des Moines Register reports that 38-year-old Damien Stovall and 37-year-old Allonna Stovall are accused of using a belt or wooden spoon to punish two of their children, ages 6 and 7. The couple's seven children were removed from their custody.
Court records say a trial is scheduled for June 12. Des Moines Police Sgt. Jason Halifax says the charges are based on several incidents. The records say the couple used "unreasonable force and/or cruelty" against the children.
The newspaper says the Stovalls were recognized in a September ceremony in Washington, D.C., after adopting four children. They were designated "Angels in Adoption."
The Stovalls and their attorney didn't immediately return messages Wednesday.
- UPDATE: Two additional suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Monday closings due to weather
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser
- Annual bridal expo prepares for wedding season