MASON CITY, Iowa (AP) -- The Cerro Gordo County Department of Public Health says its new mascot has been given a name: Howie Staywell.
It comes from two suggestions submitted by members of the public.
A Health department spokeswoman told the Mason City Globe Gazette that the suggestions were combined "to create a name that is fun but also represents the vision and mission of the Health Department."
The mascot is a gray owl. It was created to help put children at ease when getting flu shots.
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged Dec. 22 shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Search resumes for girl missing in western Iowa river