CASCADE, Iowa (AP) - Family members of a northeast Iowa woman wanted a special way to remember her after she died, so they chose a way that seemed most fitting: with a family recipe for sugar cookies.
The Gazette in Cedar Rapids reports that the recipe for "Mom's Christmas Cookies" is inscribed on the back of Maxine Menster's gravestone at a cemetery in Cascade. The recipe has marked her grave for nearly a decade.
Her daughter, Jane Menster of rural Bernard, says she and her father were searching for a way to remember their mother's generosity. She says the sugar cookie recipe serves as a reminder of her mother's love, and an enduring holiday tradition for their family.
Maxine Menster died on Sept. 26, 1994. She was 68 years old.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration