CASCADE, Iowa (AP) - Family members of a northeast Iowa woman wanted a special way to remember her after she died, so they chose a way that seemed most fitting: with a family recipe for sugar cookies.
The Gazette in Cedar Rapids reports that the recipe for "Mom's Christmas Cookies" is inscribed on the back of Maxine Menster's gravestone at a cemetery in Cascade. The recipe has marked her grave for nearly a decade.
Her daughter, Jane Menster of rural Bernard, says she and her father were searching for a way to remember their mother's generosity. She says the sugar cookie recipe serves as a reminder of her mother's love, and an enduring holiday tradition for their family.
Maxine Menster died on Sept. 26, 1994. She was 68 years old.
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Luger plans to stay involved in counter-extremism efforts
- Another baby turned over under Iowa safe haven law
- I-94 eastbound near Eau Claire closed late Thursday due to crash
- Bond reduced in university student death case