FOREST CITY, Iowa (AP) -- A search for a child who reportedly fell into the Winnebago River in Forest City has been called off
The search began soon after a caller reported seeing a child between the ages of 7 and 10 fall into the river on the north side of the city around 1 p.m. Sunday.
Several agencies responded. Teams combed the river banks, and a boat searched the river, which was low.
Forest City Fire Chief Mark Johnson says a child hasn't been reported missing in the area, but officials went to nearby homes to see whether young residents were accounted for.
Johnson says authorities are going to assume the child is home safe but is too scared to tell anyone about falling into the water.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota