LAKE MILLS, Iowa (AP) - A bank and an excavating company have been ordered to jointly pay a $5,000 penalty for an illegal disposal and open burning in the northern Iowa town of Lake Mills.
The Mason City Globe Gazette reports that the Iowa Department of Natural Resources cited Manufacturers Bank & Trust Co. and Rognes Bros. Excavating Inc., both of Lake Mills.
The department says the bank hired Rognes Bros. to clean up a property it owned in Joice. The department says that after complaints about black smoke coming from the property in July, a department investigator discovered two pits containing burning debris. The debris included remnants of a trailer home, tires and railroad ties.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump