LAKE MILLS, Iowa (AP) - A bank and an excavating company have been ordered to jointly pay a $5,000 penalty for an illegal disposal and open burning in the northern Iowa town of Lake Mills.
The Mason City Globe Gazette reports that the Iowa Department of Natural Resources cited Manufacturers Bank & Trust Co. and Rognes Bros. Excavating Inc., both of Lake Mills.
The department says the bank hired Rognes Bros. to clean up a property it owned in Joice. The department says that after complaints about black smoke coming from the property in July, a department investigator discovered two pits containing burning debris. The debris included remnants of a trailer home, tires and railroad ties.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather