FOREST CITY, Iowa (AP) - The former mayor of Scarville has been given 30 days in jail and four years of probation for stealing from her northern Iowa town.
Michelle Hermanson, 42, had pleaded guilty to theft and to tampering with records. She was sentenced Tuesday in Winnebago County District Court.
Authorities say Hermanson stole about $10,100 from the city. Her thefts were discovered during a special investigation by the state auditor's office. Hermanson must pay restitution as well.
Former city clerk Jolene Carter's crimes also were discovered by the investigation. In December Carter was sentenced to jail and ordered to pay restitution.
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Fort Lauderdale shooter says he carried out attack for ISIS, FBI claims
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Sonar scans help divers target Lake Erie plane crash search
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- UnitedHealth tops Street 4Q forecasts
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers