FOREST CITY, Iowa (AP) - The former mayor of Scarville has been given 30 days in jail and four years of probation for stealing from her northern Iowa town.
Michelle Hermanson, 42, had pleaded guilty to theft and to tampering with records. She was sentenced Tuesday in Winnebago County District Court.
Authorities say Hermanson stole about $10,100 from the city. Her thefts were discovered during a special investigation by the state auditor's office. Hermanson must pay restitution as well.
Former city clerk Jolene Carter's crimes also were discovered by the investigation. In December Carter was sentenced to jail and ordered to pay restitution.
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation
- Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bill would eliminate last of Wisconsin's prevailing wage
- First Battalion aviation unit deploys to Middle East
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance