FOREST CITY, Iowa (AP) -- A Forest City police officer who was shot during a scuffle with state agents has pleaded not guilty to arson and burglary charges.
Thaddeus Ellenbecker is charged in a fire that damaged the Forest City police station on Oct. 1 and in the November 2010 theft of a rifle from a police car. He was shot on Oct. 20 by an agent with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation who was investigating the crimes.
The Globe Gazette in Mason City reports Ellenbecker pleaded not guilty on Tuesday in Winnebago County District Court. His attorney asked the judge to reduce Ellenbecker's 20,000 cash bond. The judge did not rule immediately on the request.
Ellenbecker's trial is set for Jan. 11.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands