WINTERSET, Iowa (AP) - Former Madison County Attorney Anthony Zane Blessum has been charged with assaulting his former girlfriend.
The Des Moines Register reports that the 56-year-old Blessum has pleaded not guilty to charges of assault with intent to inflict injury and assault with intent to commit sexual abuse. He was charged on Jan. 14.
Police reports say Blessum and the woman argued at Blessum's house in Dallas County on June 11. A 911 call was placed from the house, and officers found the woman with several injuries. She was taken to a hospital for treatment, but Blessum was not arrested that night.
Iowa Assistant Attorney General Laura Roan is prosecuting the case.
Blessum's attorney, Shane Michael, says Blessum acted in self-defense.
Blessum served as Madison County attorney from 1987 to 1997.
- Wisconsin man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- GOP bill would discipline hecklers at UW speeches
- Wisconsin DOJ, feds, police set up Drug Take Back Day
- Wisconsin judge hears challenge to homemade bakery ban
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- West Salem Middle School raises awareness for importance of physical activity