WINTERSET, Iowa (AP) - Former Madison County Attorney Anthony Zane Blessum has been charged with assaulting his former girlfriend.
The Des Moines Register reports that the 56-year-old Blessum has pleaded not guilty to charges of assault with intent to inflict injury and assault with intent to commit sexual abuse. He was charged on Jan. 14.
Police reports say Blessum and the woman argued at Blessum's house in Dallas County on June 11. A 911 call was placed from the house, and officers found the woman with several injuries. She was taken to a hospital for treatment, but Blessum was not arrested that night.
Iowa Assistant Attorney General Laura Roan is prosecuting the case.
Blessum's attorney, Shane Michael, says Blessum acted in self-defense.
Blessum served as Madison County attorney from 1987 to 1997.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death