FOREST CITY, Iowa (AP) -- The trial of a former Forest City police officer charged with arson and burglary has been moved because of pre-trial publicity.
The Globe Gazette in Mason City says a judge has granted a defense request for a change of venue in the case against Thaddeus Ellenbecker. The judge moved the trial from Winnebago County to Mitchell County.
Ellenbecker is charged in a fire that damaged the Forest City police station last October. He's also accused in the theft of a rifle from a police car in November 2010. Ellenbecker was shot during a scuffle with a state agent investigating the crimes.
His trial is set for Sept. 10.
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Dayton names new Minnesota State Lottery director
- Walker hopes Trump's tough talk catches Canada's attention
- Walker: Not my job to remove Sheriff Clarke after jail death
- Minnesota woman gets probation for supporting al-Shabab