FOREST CITY, Iowa (AP) -- The trial of a former Forest City police officer charged with arson and burglary has been moved because of pre-trial publicity.
The Globe Gazette in Mason City says a judge has granted a defense request for a change of venue in the case against Thaddeus Ellenbecker. The judge moved the trial from Winnebago County to Mitchell County.
Ellenbecker is charged in a fire that damaged the Forest City police station last October. He's also accused in the theft of a rifle from a police car in November 2010. Ellenbecker was shot during a scuffle with a state agent investigating the crimes.
His trial is set for Sept. 10.
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Pocan no longer attending inauguration