DUBUQUE, Iowa (AP) - A Vietnam-era helicopter gunship will become part of a veterans memorial on Chaplin Schmitt Island in Dubuque.
The Dubuque Telegraph Herald reports that the Bell AH-1S Cobra was found by Richard "George" Goebel amid weeds at Camp Dodge in Johnston.
The Dubuque City Council approved a proposal in August 2007 to place the helicopter at the memorial, which was dedicated in 2009 on Veterans Day.
It took years for Goebel and others to get the permissions and paperwork necessary to acquire the war bird.
A semitrailer took the helicopter to Dubuque on Wednesday. The Cobra will be placed on a 15-foot-tall steel pedestal facing the memorial's globe.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Young students urge high schoolers to be safe during prom
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting