DUBUQUE, Iowa (AP) - A Vietnam-era helicopter gunship will become part of a veterans memorial on Chaplin Schmitt Island in Dubuque.
The Dubuque Telegraph Herald reports that the Bell AH-1S Cobra was found by Richard "George" Goebel amid weeds at Camp Dodge in Johnston.
The Dubuque City Council approved a proposal in August 2007 to place the helicopter at the memorial, which was dedicated in 2009 on Veterans Day.
It took years for Goebel and others to get the permissions and paperwork necessary to acquire the war bird.
A semitrailer took the helicopter to Dubuque on Wednesday. The Cobra will be placed on a 15-foot-tall steel pedestal facing the memorial's globe.
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests