DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A groundbreaking ceremony on Monday will mark the beginning of construction on a playground that will honor a slain real estate agent.
Twenty-seven-year-old Ashley Okland died after she was shot at a model town home in West Des Moines on April 8, 2011. No arrests have been made.
The Ashland Okland Star Playground will be built at Ewing Park and will have features adapted to children with cognitive and physical disabilities.
Fundraising for the project was begun in in September by Variety -- The Children's Charity of Iowa. Okland had been a board member. Variety exceeded its fundraising goal of $500,000 in April.
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- Wet weather delays crop planting
- Proposed bill aims to bring veterans into agriculture
- Wisconsin 2016 job gain smallest in 6 years
- Small school graduates four sets of twins
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently
- 3 Rivers Nutrition hosts beach fitness camp
- La Crosse Central holds 95th Memorial Day ceremony