DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A groundbreaking ceremony on Monday will mark the beginning of construction on a playground that will honor a slain real estate agent.
Twenty-seven-year-old Ashley Okland died after she was shot at a model town home in West Des Moines on April 8, 2011. No arrests have been made.
The Ashland Okland Star Playground will be built at Ewing Park and will have features adapted to children with cognitive and physical disabilities.
Fundraising for the project was begun in in September by Variety -- The Children's Charity of Iowa. Okland had been a board member. Variety exceeded its fundraising goal of $500,000 in April.
- Area hotel damaged after bizarre car crash
- Donor recipients, family meet for first time in Onalaska
- Sunday liquor sales ban on Minnesota House's chopping block
- Area organization helping so all girls can go to prom
- Taste of Trempealeau event raises money for public library
- Viroqua chef nominated for highest honor in restaurant industry
- State to contribute $5 million to La Crosse Center renovations
- La Crosse Fire Department investigating two early morning fires
- Police searching for man who robbed Holy Smokes at gun point
- Warmer than average temperatures benefit area businesses, ski tournaments