DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Iowa officials want to recognize farmers that use environmentally friendly practices on their land.
Residents can submit nominations for the farm environmental leader awards through the state Department of Agriculture's website until June 15.
State officials say the awards are part of an effort to improve water quality in Iowa and protect the soil from erosion.
Some of the qualifying sustainable farming techniques include manure management and precision fertilizer application.
Gov. Terry Branstad will recognize the winners at the Iowa State Fair on August 15. Prizes include a certificate and a luncheon.
Officials recognized 67 farm families during the inaugural year in 2012.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser
- Parents accused of starving teen daughter plead not guilty
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore