DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Iowa officials want to recognize farmers that use environmentally friendly practices on their land.
Residents can submit nominations for the farm environmental leader awards through the state Department of Agriculture's website until June 15.
State officials say the awards are part of an effort to improve water quality in Iowa and protect the soil from erosion.
Some of the qualifying sustainable farming techniques include manure management and precision fertilizer application.
Gov. Terry Branstad will recognize the winners at the Iowa State Fair on August 15. Prizes include a certificate and a luncheon.
Officials recognized 67 farm families during the inaugural year in 2012.
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation
- Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bill would eliminate last of Wisconsin's prevailing wage
- First Battalion aviation unit deploys to Middle East
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance