MASON CITY, Iowa (AP) - A court date has been set for an Iowa inmate appealing a conviction involving the death of his girlfriend's 2-year-old son.
The Mason City Globe Gazette reports a post-conviction relief hearing is scheduled June 27th for Christopher McCoy in Cerro Gordo County District Court.
McCoy says his attorney failed to request that the trial be moved to another county and didn't object to courtroom attacks against McCoy's character.
McCoy was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment for the January 2006 death of Riley Prazak. He is serving a 55-year sentence.
Authorities say McCoy was taking care of the toddler while the boy's mother was at work. McCoy says he was sleeping when the boy fell from a bed. He died three days later.
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls