MASON CITY, Iowa (AP) - A court date has been set for an Iowa inmate appealing a conviction involving the death of his girlfriend's 2-year-old son.
The Mason City Globe Gazette reports a post-conviction relief hearing is scheduled June 27th for Christopher McCoy in Cerro Gordo County District Court.
McCoy says his attorney failed to request that the trial be moved to another county and didn't object to courtroom attacks against McCoy's character.
McCoy was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment for the January 2006 death of Riley Prazak. He is serving a 55-year sentence.
Authorities say McCoy was taking care of the toddler while the boy's mother was at work. McCoy says he was sleeping when the boy fell from a bed. He died three days later.
- Copyright 2016 by WKBT News8000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- On Your Side - Guide to Buying Glasses Online
- VIDEO: Area couples prepare for wedding season
- VIDEO: De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- VIDEO: Local event helps connect military families
- VIDEO: Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests