COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) - Longtime Council Bluffs Mayor Tom Hanafan has no plans to seek re-election in November.
Hanafan announced his intentions on Tuesday. He says the long hours of dealing with the Missouri River flooding in 2011 made him think about leaving his post. He also says he's looking forward to spending more time with his family.
The 65-year-old Hanafan has been mayor since his appointment in 1985. He won his first mayoral election in 1988.
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Handful of rat virus cases seen in Wisconsin and Illinois
- Pocan compliments Trump before skipping inauguration
- Nebraska, Iowa Guard troops assigned inauguration duties
- E. Iowa man charged in death of woman killed by cannon
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge