CEDAR FALLS, Iowa (AP) - The Cedar Falls City Council is considering a money-saving proposal to cut the mayor's job down to a part-time position.
The council didn't take any action on the proposal Monday night from the city's Budget Reduction Task Force, but the proposal is expected to arise at future meetings.
The salary for a part-time mayor could run between $6,500 and $30,000. Current Mayor Jon Crews is paid about $118,000 a year. The task force proposal includes a starting date in 2016.
Crews doesn't think having a part-time mayor is a good idea. He says a part-time mayor wouldn't have enough time to address major policy issues.
- Family to announce settlement in police shooting case
- Preschool teacher, 4-year-old recovering after ‘perfect kidney' transplant
- Winning numbers drawn in 'Powerball' game
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Minnesota House set for floor vote on Real ID
- Iowa mayor wraps up address with bluesy salute to his city
- Dayton blasts Trump's transgender bathroom reversal
- Ohio, Wisconsin kick start interstate talks on Trump effect
- Discrimination lawsuit against Rochester schools dismissed
- Fresh snow possible for American Birkebeiner