CEDAR FALLS, Iowa (AP) - The Cedar Falls City Council is considering a money-saving proposal to cut the mayor's job down to a part-time position.
The council didn't take any action on the proposal Monday night from the city's Budget Reduction Task Force, but the proposal is expected to arise at future meetings.
The salary for a part-time mayor could run between $6,500 and $30,000. Current Mayor Jon Crews is paid about $118,000 a year. The task force proposal includes a starting date in 2016.
Crews doesn't think having a part-time mayor is a good idea. He says a part-time mayor wouldn't have enough time to address major policy issues.
- Area veterans visit cemeteries, honor fallen heroes
- Riverside Memorial Day ceremony honors sea-based service members
- Service members honored at La Crosse's Memorial Day ceremony
- La Crosse celebrates Memorial Day with annual parade
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- C-FC senior has second chance at state gold
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable