OKOBOJI, Iowa (AP) - Another sign of spring: The fundraising car has fallen through the ice at West Okoboji Lake in northwest Iowa.
The Spirit Lake Sunrise Kiwanis Club and American Red Cross sell tickets as a fundraiser each year. Buyers record their best guesses for when a car placed on ice in Smith Bay will fall through. The car engine and all fluids are removed from the car so it won't pollute the lake.
Last year it plunged by mid-March. This year the plunge took place either late Wednesday or early Thursday morning.
A search and rescue team and a towing company will recover the car on Saturday. A clock rigged to record the plunge will be checked. The ticket buyer with the closest guess of the plunge time will win $1,000.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death