OKOBOJI, Iowa (AP) - Another sign of spring: The fundraising car has fallen through the ice at West Okoboji Lake in northwest Iowa.
The Spirit Lake Sunrise Kiwanis Club and American Red Cross sell tickets as a fundraiser each year. Buyers record their best guesses for when a car placed on ice in Smith Bay will fall through. The car engine and all fluids are removed from the car so it won't pollute the lake.
Last year it plunged by mid-March. This year the plunge took place either late Wednesday or early Thursday morning.
A search and rescue team and a towing company will recover the car on Saturday. A clock rigged to record the plunge will be checked. The ticket buyer with the closest guess of the plunge time will win $1,000.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Course teaches Somali culture in central Minnesota
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership