COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) - A health care organization is sponsoring a free camp that will let children with disabilities swim, play golf and join in other activities.
Alegent Creighton Health has organized the Junior Wheelchair Sports and Recreation Camp at the Iowa School for the Deaf in Council Bluffs.
The camp will run from Monday through Thursday.
About 40 children from five states are expected to attend the annual camp, which was first held in 1990.
College and high school athletes will help the children in activities including football, basketball, archery, golf and swimming.
The goal is to build confidence in the children, and enhance their coordination skills and wheelchair maneuvers.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration