CLEAR LAKE, Iowa (AP) - An 11-year-old boy who was rescued by a 10-year-old friend after plunging through lake ice into bone-chilling water says he thought he was going to die.
Ashton Eckenrod was rescued from Clear Lake in northern Iowa by his friend who was identified only by his first name, Tanner.
Ashton told Mason City television station KIMT that he'd been on the iced-over lake before and had never had any trouble until Friday.
Ashton says he kept his hands on the ice after he went in, and then Tanner grabbed one of his hands and pulled him out.
Ashton says, "I'm never taking a step on that ice again."
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged Dec. 22 shooting
- Wisconsin student wants sex charges dismissed
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Search resumes for girl missing in western Iowa river
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run