CLEAR LAKE, Iowa (AP) - An 11-year-old boy who was rescued by a 10-year-old friend after plunging through lake ice into bone-chilling water says he thought he was going to die.
Ashton Eckenrod was rescued from Clear Lake in northern Iowa by his friend who was identified only by his first name, Tanner.
Ashton told Mason City television station KIMT that he'd been on the iced-over lake before and had never had any trouble until Friday.
Ashton says he kept his hands on the ice after he went in, and then Tanner grabbed one of his hands and pulled him out.
Ashton says, "I'm never taking a step on that ice again."
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviormental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game