OSKALOOSA, Iowa (AP) -- Police say a 25-year-old Oskaloosa man used a medieval-style battle ax to kill his mother's boyfriend.
Police Chief Jake McGee described the ax as 3 feet long with sharpened sides.
Bradley Arterburn is being treated for what are believed to be self-inflicted wounds and faces murder charges. He's accused of fatally wounding 58-year-old Robert Horovitz on Sunday night at the home Arterburn shared with his mother in Oskaloosa.
Police say Horovitz died at Mahaska Health Partnership in Oskaloosa, and Arterburn was flown to a Des Moines hospital for treatment.
Police did not say what led to the violence.
It's unclear whether Arterburn has a lawyer. The case is not listed on online court records.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse