OSKALOOSA, Iowa (AP) -- Police say a 25-year-old Oskaloosa man used a medieval-style battle ax to kill his mother's boyfriend.
Police Chief Jake McGee described the ax as 3 feet long with sharpened sides.
Bradley Arterburn is being treated for what are believed to be self-inflicted wounds and faces murder charges. He's accused of fatally wounding 58-year-old Robert Horovitz on Sunday night at the home Arterburn shared with his mother in Oskaloosa.
Police say Horovitz died at Mahaska Health Partnership in Oskaloosa, and Arterburn was flown to a Des Moines hospital for treatment.
Police did not say what led to the violence.
It's unclear whether Arterburn has a lawyer. The case is not listed on online court records.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Man arrested in apparent Hibbing homicide
- Apostle Islands ice caves inaccessible to visitors
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Icy weather brings danger
- State sues former UW-Oshkosh chancellor, business officer
- Walker sends letter in support of DeVos for education head
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse