MONTEZUMA, Iowa (AP) - A former Iowa high school teacher has been accused of sexually abusing four students.
The Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office says 27-year-old Derek Bates faces four counts of third-degree sexual abuse and other charges. He was arrested Thursday.
The Des Moines Register says a student contacted authorities with allegations of improper conduct. Three other students later reported similar allegations.
Bates taught English at Montezuma High School until resigning in October. He was charged at the time with providing alcohol to a person under the legal age and consuming alcohol on school property. The new allegations stem from an investigation that began in April.
The newspaper reports the students were 12 and 13 years old at the time of the alleged abuse.
Bates' attorney did not immediately return a message Monday.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns
- CSAs connecting fresh produce to consumers
- La Crosse 12-year-old to clean up skate park with community help
- Thousands honored in La Crosse for volunteering