MONTEZUMA, Iowa (AP) - A former Iowa high school teacher has been accused of sexually abusing four students.
The Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office says 27-year-old Derek Bates faces four counts of third-degree sexual abuse and other charges. He was arrested Thursday.
The Des Moines Register says a student contacted authorities with allegations of improper conduct. Three other students later reported similar allegations.
Bates taught English at Montezuma High School until resigning in October. He was charged at the time with providing alcohol to a person under the legal age and consuming alcohol on school property. The new allegations stem from an investigation that began in April.
The newspaper reports the students were 12 and 13 years old at the time of the alleged abuse.
Bates' attorney did not immediately return a message Monday.
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Monday closings due to weather
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Local bar burglarized
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser