ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Hundreds of demonstrators marched from Minnesota's state Capitol Friday night to protest a police officer's acquittal in the fatal shooting last year of a black motorist.
Officer Jeronimo Yanez was cleared Friday in last July's death of Philando Castile. Yanez shot Castile during a July 6 traffic stop seconds after Castile informed him he was carrying a gun.
The officer testified that Castile was ignoring his commands not to pull out the gun and he feared for his life.
The crowd Friday evening is mixed and includes many children, including some who are stenciling posters as the event continues.
Some protesters say they plan to begin a march to the nearby St. Paul Cathedral and back.
- Poll shows lack of support of higher taxes for roads
- Poll shows most Wisconsinites oppose repealing health law
- Democrat Vinehout registers to run for governor
- Trump's approval rating worsens in Wisconsin
- Man who died during armed robbery identified
- Gov. Walker announces campaign to promote veteran-owned businesses
- Witnesses heard engine backfire before Wisconsin plane crash
- Shop owners, police stress firework safety and legality
- Walker approval rating at highest level since October 2014
- Fireworks Recalled due to burn and injury hazards