LA CRESCENT, Minn. (WKBT) - Preparations are underway for a local festival celebrating a popular fruit.
Applefest returns this weekend to La Crescent, also known as the Apple Capital of Minnesota.
The festivities will feature locally grown apples, including a new variety called 'First Kiss.' Fest leaders say this year they are bringing in additional apple varieties from farms outside of the area.
"If you anticipate your favorite variety at a certain time, come on in because if it's not quite ready there's probably another one here that's going to be really close and satisfy your taste buds,” said Bruce Bauer of Bauer’s Market and Garden Center.
The 67th Applefest begins Thursday with a carnival. One of the most popular events of the fest, the King Apple Parade, will begin this Sunday at one in the afternoon.
You can find a list and schedule of events at the La Crescent Applefest website.
- La Crosse County may turn to other counties to house inmates
- Aaron Rodgers says collarbone surgery went well
- Wisconsin lawmaker's daughter charged in opioid death
- Granny basketball offers on-court fun, friendship
- Iowa parents charged in death of malnourished toddler
- Walker to launch re-election campaign Nov. 5 in Waukesha
- Wisconsin prison head says more space needed
- 125 years in prison for trucker who assaulted children
- DNR board to consider ATV, motorcycle trails in state forest
- 'My Neighbor is a Muslim' series aims to increase understanding of religion