LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The winners of the 2014 Congressional Art Competition have been announced.
The first place winners will have their artwork displayed in the Cannon Tunnel, leading to the U.S. Capitol, for a year along with the works of other student artists from across the country.
Winners of Minnesota's First Congressional District:
1st Place – Emily Bartz, Grade 12, Winona High School, Title: "Jungle Jumble," painting
2nd Place – Henry Heins, Grade 12, Mayo High School, Title: "Head in the Clouds," acrylic on canvas
3rd Place – Ashlee Althoff, Grade 12, Winona High School, Title: "Army Family," acrylic painting
The second and third place winners' work will be displayed in the Rep. Tim Walz district offices.
"It is an honor to announce Emily Bartz, a senior at Winona High School, as the winner of this year's competition," Rep. Walz said in a statement. "This is a unique competition that provides the opportunity to showcase the artistic talent of southern Minnesota students and acknowledge our nation's gifted young artists. I'm looking forward to seeing Emily's painting displayed in the Cannon tunnel at the Capitol."
Winners of Wisconsin's Third Congressional District:
1st Place-Alysha Strangstalien, Central High School, "The Light in the Dark"
2nd Place-Megan Sandheinrich, Central High School, "I was Looking for a Home but all I Found was a ‘Brick Wall'"
3rd Place-Kong Meng Xiong, Logan High School, "You Can't Escape the Past"
4th Place-India Hoeppner, Logan High School, "Life's Hands"
The second place work will be displayed in Rep. Ron Kind's Washington, D.C. office, while the third and fourth-place works will be hung in Kind's La Crosse and Eau Claire offices.
"The Congressional Art Contest is always a highlight of the year for Tawni and me," said Rep. Kind said. "There is so much artistic talent to be found in western and central Wisconsin, and it's an honor for us to showcase the amazing work of some of our best young artists."
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- Baby peregrine falcons banded in downtown La Crosse
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Monroe Co. man avoids prison for shooting mother
- Rail tank car helps first responders prepare in case of derailment
- Locomotive engine oil spill in Jackson county
- News 8 Sports Round Up - May 25, 2017
- Program gives books to La Crosse students for summer reading
- Tomah VA, Fort McCoy team up for Memorial Day 5K
- Iowa man accused of stealing from ailing dad gets probation