Republican Tommy Thompson conceded the U.S. Senate race to Democrat Tammy Baldwin at about 11:40 p.m. on Tuesday.
When Thompson walked to the podium, he told the crowd, "Not the way I planned it."
He thanked those who supported him, including Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker and Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen.
"I never campaigned harder," Thompson said.
With the win, Baldwin will become Wisconsin's first woman senator and the first openly gay member of the U.S. Senate.
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged Dec. 22 shooting
- Wisconsin student wants sex charges dismissed
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Search resumes for girl missing in western Iowa river
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run