Republican Tommy Thompson conceded the U.S. Senate race to Democrat Tammy Baldwin at about 11:40 p.m. on Tuesday.
When Thompson walked to the podium, he told the crowd, "Not the way I planned it."
He thanked those who supported him, including Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker and Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen.
"I never campaigned harder," Thompson said.
With the win, Baldwin will become Wisconsin's first woman senator and the first openly gay member of the U.S. Senate.
- Holmen man sentenced for 2015 murder
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse
- Herberger's moving into former Macy's location in La Crosse