MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Republican Jerry Petrowski has defeated Democrat Donna Seidel for an open Senate seat in Tuesday's recall elections.
RESULTS: Wisconsin Recall Election Results
Democrats upset with Republican Gov. Scott Walker's polarizing plan to strip most public workers of nearly all their union rights forced the governor, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch and four GOP senators, including Pam Galloway of Wausau, into recall elections this past winter. Walker claimed the plan was needed to control the state budget, but many public workers opposed erosion of their bargaining rights.
Galloway chose to resign rather than defend her seat. State election officials decided to continue with the election to fill her seat regardless.
Seidel and Petrowski both currently serve in the state Assembly.
- Hunger Task Force garners tons of food through Family Fest
- La Crosse Fire Department offering free smoke alarm installation
- Area prospective home buyers learning basics
- Sunday liquor sales heads for final Minnesota Senate vote
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Researchers may have found link between stress and weight gain