MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Republican Jerry Petrowski has defeated Democrat Donna Seidel for an open Senate seat in Tuesday's recall elections.
RESULTS: Wisconsin Recall Election Results
Democrats upset with Republican Gov. Scott Walker's polarizing plan to strip most public workers of nearly all their union rights forced the governor, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch and four GOP senators, including Pam Galloway of Wausau, into recall elections this past winter. Walker claimed the plan was needed to control the state budget, but many public workers opposed erosion of their bargaining rights.
Galloway chose to resign rather than defend her seat. State election officials decided to continue with the election to fill her seat regardless.
Seidel and Petrowski both currently serve in the state Assembly.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest