MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Republican Jerry Petrowski has defeated Democrat Donna Seidel for an open Senate seat in Tuesday's recall elections.
RESULTS: Wisconsin Recall Election Results
Democrats upset with Republican Gov. Scott Walker's polarizing plan to strip most public workers of nearly all their union rights forced the governor, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch and four GOP senators, including Pam Galloway of Wausau, into recall elections this past winter. Walker claimed the plan was needed to control the state budget, but many public workers opposed erosion of their bargaining rights.
Galloway chose to resign rather than defend her seat. State election officials decided to continue with the election to fill her seat regardless.
Seidel and Petrowski both currently serve in the state Assembly.
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- News 8 Sports Round Up- May 27, 2017
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently