LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - La Crosse County will now be accepting same-sex marriage license applications, La Crosse County Clerk Ginny Dankmeyer announced mid-Monday afternoon.
U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb said since she has not issued any injunctive relief, she cannot issue a stay on a Friday ruling regarding striking down a state ban on same-sex marriage.
Dankmeyer said she was waiting for more clarification before deciding to issue marriage licenses. She added her phone has been ringing off the hook since the start of Monday, as people called to inquire about issuing marriage licenses.
Crabb struck down the state's ban on Friday, but her ruling confused some county clerks because she didn't specifically tell county and state officials whether they could issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
Clerks in Madison and Milwaukee immediately began issuing licenses. Dankmeyer said La Crosse County will wait until June 16 unless an injunction is filed Monday.
Crabb asked the ACLU to tell her exactly what it wanted her to block in the gay marriage law. Crabb said Monday she'll schedule a hearing once the ACLU responds.
Republican Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen has appealed Crabb's decision to the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. He filed a similar request Monday in federal appeals court.
In a news release, Dankmeyer made this statement:
"It is important to know that the La Crosse County Clerk is NOT responsible for the legality of the marriage union and refunds will not be issued to applicants for ANY reason. Those applicants who do not marry prior to a legal action that a stay or an injunction of the current ruling of Judge Crabb could potentially lose rights to file a license with the Register of Deeds, making the marriage unrecognized by the State of WI."
What counties in our viewing area have decided to do as of Monday afternoon:
- Buffalo County - Will start taking applications. No one has inquired as of early Monday afternoon.
- Crawford County - Will start taking applications. No one has inquired as of early Monday afternoon.
- Eau Claire County - As of 1p.m. on June 10, the Eau Claire County Clerk is issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples.Three couples called to inquire about an application.
- Jackson County - Will start taking applications. No one has inquired as of early Monday afternoon.
- La Crosse County - Will start taking applications, as of Monday afternoon.
- Monroe County - Will start taking applications. No one has inquired as of early Monday afternoon.
- Trempealeau County - Will start taking applications. They have had three phone calls.
- Vernon County - Waiting for more direction from the attorney general.
- Task force catches more criminals exploiting children online
- Belle Square development moves forward
- Crews begin renovations on La Crosse's Powell Park
- La Crosse officials look for input on proposed 'greenway'
- Wisconsin judge drops power line construction ban
- One week after storms, cleanup continues
- New La Crosse Fire Chief approved by Fire Commission
- ‘Go Red for Women' La Crosse luncheon highlights heart disease among women
- La Crosse city departments host ‘City Open House' for residents
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash