LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Members of the UW-La Crosse Student Association will award State Representative Jill Billings as their Higher Education Advocate of the Year.
Billings will be honored at the Student Senate meeting Wednesday, April 30 at 6 p.m. in Port O'Call, Cartwright Center-Gunning Addition.
"Rep. Billings was a strong advocate of the higher education, lower debt bill that aimed to help students escape student debt faster after graduation," UW-L Student Association President Nick Bezier said. "Additionally, she was constantly accessible to address student issues and willing to work with student leaders."
This is the third year for the award. Previous recipients included retired UW-L Political Science Professor Joe Heim in 2013 and former UW System President Kevin Reilly in 2012.
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 25, 2017
- Area church making capes for kids in pediatric ward
- VITA program helping people file their taxes
- La Crosse Children's Museum celebrates 18 years
- Lawmakers push bill to address dropped rural cellphone calls