LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Members of the UW-La Crosse Student Association will award State Representative Jill Billings as their Higher Education Advocate of the Year.
Billings will be honored at the Student Senate meeting Wednesday, April 30 at 6 p.m. in Port O'Call, Cartwright Center-Gunning Addition.
"Rep. Billings was a strong advocate of the higher education, lower debt bill that aimed to help students escape student debt faster after graduation," UW-L Student Association President Nick Bezier said. "Additionally, she was constantly accessible to address student issues and willing to work with student leaders."
This is the third year for the award. Previous recipients included retired UW-L Political Science Professor Joe Heim in 2013 and former UW System President Kevin Reilly in 2012.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- You participated in the Women's March. Now what?