ONALASKA, Wis. (WKBT) - One person is dead following a crash on Highway 16 during the Monday evening commute.
According to the Onalaska Police Department, the crash happened at the intersection of Highway 16 and County Road OS, near Woodman's market in Onalaska at about 5:30 p.m.
Police say their initial investigation shows a sedan was turning from County Road OS onto eastbound Highway 16 when it was hit by a pickup truck that was traveling on the westbound side of Highway 16.
The driver of the sedan was trapped in the car and had to be extricated before being taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, where they were pronounced dead. The identity of the person is not being released at this time, pending the notification of relatives.
Traffic in the area of the crash was still being affected until about 10:30 p.m. while the Wisconsin State Patrol took measurements for crash reconstruction. Investigators with the Onalaska Police Department were also still interviewing the driver of the pickup truck.
More information on the crash is expected to be released on Tuesday.
- Granny basketball offers on-court fun, friendship
- La Crosse County may turn to other counties to house inmates
- Walker to launch re-election campaign Nov. 5 in Waukesha
- Part of Market Street, La Crosse closed for utility work
- Water-damaged cars from Hurricane Harvey may end up for sale locally
- Wisconsin prison head says more space needed
- West Salem to purchase land for new police department
- Trempealeau D.A. speaks out following recent ethical concerns
- Hall of Fame QB Bart Starr to attend Packers game vs. Saints
- Minnesota State considers changing tuition policy