ONALASKA, Wis. (WKBT) - After hours, the Onalaska Fire Department has put out a fire that destroyed an apartment complex near 13th and Green Bay streets in Onalaska.
The Fire Department said the eight-unit apartment building, owned by 360 Realty, caught fire around 11:37 a.m. Saturday due to a candle.
Firefighters had difficulty putting out the fire because flames were caught between the original roof of the building and a new roof added on years later.
"So accessibility was difficult, then the strength of the building also led to the fact that it was dangerous for the firefighters to be in there," Onalaska fire Chief Don Dominick said.
As of 8:30 p.m., the fire was out and the building was reduced to rubble after the fire department had to use an excavator to get to the fire.
All tenants have been notified, and 360 Realty has offered to pay for hotel rooms for any tenant displaced by the fire.
Several animals were recovered from the building and no deaths have been reported.
Streets have been closed around 13th and Green Bay streets, and Excel Energy cut out power in the neighborhood because it had to put a ladder up near the power lines.
- La Crosse man arrested for armed robbery, police looking for another
- Neighborhood revitalization projects in full swing this year
- Local fire departments work to hire, retain firefighters
- Man wanted for retail theft leads area authorities on high speed chase
- Poll finds no consensus on Wisconsin roads funding
- Drug and alcohol prevention program expanding to local schools
- Onalaska hires new City Administrator
- Wisconsin fugitive convicted of kidnapping Michigan student
- Police: 2 critically hurt in Wisconsin shooting
- Majority of Wisconsin voters want to keep health care law