JACKSON COUNTY, WI (WKBT) -

No one was injured in a house fire at W8995 Oak Ridge Road in the Township of Manchester in Jackson County Wednesday morning.

When firefighters arrived on scene at about 7 a.m. for a chimney fire, they found a two story, wood frame, single-family home with heavy smoke coming from the eves and the roof ridge.

Black River Falls Fire Chief Steve Schreiber says the owner of the home was able to get out safe and was the only person there at the time of the fire.  Firefighters were able to save his cat.

Ladon Schultz told firefighters he came home from work at 2 a.m. and started a fire in the wood stove. He went to bed at about 4 a.m. and awoke to smoke in the home just before the fire department was called.

Schultz said the smoke alarms were in place, but he didn’t recall hearing them. Chief Schreiber says firefighters first fought the flames from inside the house and then went outside when the fire engulfed the attic area.

Chief Schreiber said the structure and contents are insured. The damage estimate is not known yet, but both contents and structure appear to be a total loss.

Crews were on scene for five hours. Mutual aid was received from the Merrillan, Town of Lincoln (Warrens) and Hatfield Fire Departments. The American Red Cross is helping Schultz.