LA CROSSE, Wis. -

An electrical short is being blamed for an early Memorial Day morning apartment fire in La Crosse.

The La Crosse Fire Department says it responded to a fire call on the 300 block of 7th street just after midnight.  Firefighters found smoke and fire inside the front door leading to the upstairs apartment.

Authorities say the people living in the apartment were alerted to the fire by their daughter.  She came home and found the fire, then called her mother.  Everyone made it out safely.

Firefighters put the fire out quickly and got rid of the smoke, which limited the amount of damage.

The fire department says the cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical short.