Recipe: Vegetarian chili
Dietitian's tip: Firm tofu stands in for meat and is much lower in fat and cholesterol than is hamburger. It also picks up the chili flavors nicely. Serve this hearty vegetarian chili with corn bread, and sliced pears sprinkled with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 12 ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into small pieces
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) diced tomatoes with no added salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) kidney beans with no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) black beans with no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)
In a soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until soft and translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the tofu, tomatoes, beans, chili powder and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro. Ladle into individual bowls and serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
|Total fat||5 g||Total carbohydrate||46 g|
|Saturated fat||1 g||Dietary fiber||15 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||2 g||Protein||18 g|