Shrimp Fried Rice with Spring Vegetables
Makes 4 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: large skillet, medium skillet, chef knife, cutting board, 3 small bowls Do right away when you get home: thaw shrimp under water
1 cup instant brown rice
8 oz. raw shrimp
4 tsp. canola oil
2 Tbsp. fresh ginger
4 cups snap peas
1 medium red bell pepper
2 medium carrots
2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. canola oil
1. Prepare rice according to package instructions, set aside.
2. Combine hoisin sauce and oil in small bowl and set aside.
3. Heat canola oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Beat eggs in small bowl and add to skillet. Cook until done; set aside in a separate bowl.
4. Peel, and remove tails from shrimp. Cook in 2 tsp. of canola oil in large skillet over medium heat until pink. Remove and add to bowl with eggs.
5. Add remaining 2 tsp. of oil to pan. Mince ginger, chop pepper, carrots and scallions. Add to pan along with peas and sauté until tender.
6. Add rice, shrimp and eggs and mix in well.
7. Remove from heat and gently stir in sauce mixture from step two.
Suggested Side Items: glass of milk
Tips: Hoisin sauce is a thick, dark brown, spicy-sweet sauce made from soybeans and a complex mix of spices. Find it in the Asian foods section of your supermarket. Shopping list: Hoisin sauce Toasted sesame oil 8 oz. raw shrimp (fresh or frozen) 4 scallions Ginger 12 oz. snap peas 1 red bell pepper 2 medium carrots
Check for: Brown rice 2 Eggs