Pumpkin and Goat Cheese Risotto
Makes 6 Servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: 2 medium saucepans
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup canned pure pumpkin
2 Tbsp. olive oil
½ tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 1/2 cups whole grain rice
2/3 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 cup (about 6 oz.) coarsely crumbled soft fresh goat cheese
1. Whisk together broth and pumpkin in medium saucepan and simmer over medium heat. Cover pan and reduce the heat to low to keep pumpkin broth warm.
2. Heat olive oil in separate saucepan over medium heat. Thinly slice and add leek and salt. Cook until almost tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Mix in the thyme. Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Add wine and simmer, stirring constantly, until completely absorbed. Add 1/2 cup of pumpkin broth and stir 1 to 2 minutes. Continue cooking rice, adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing each addition to absorb before adding the next. Cook until rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes
4. Mix in Parmesan, parsley, pepper and nutmeg. Remove from heat.
5. Evenly distribute mixture in bowls and sprinkle with goat cheese and extra parsley
Suggested Side Items: Pair this dish with your favorite cooked protein.
Tips: Pumpkin is a great source of Vitamin A, which helps with vision and immune function. Shopping list: 4 Cups low sodium chicken broth 1 (14 oz.) can pumpkin 1 leek 1 ½ cups whole grain rice ½ cup parmesan 6 oz. crumbled goat cheese
Check for: Olive oil Salt and black pepper Thyme Dry white wine Parsley Nutmeg