By Mayo Clinic Staff
Balsamic vinegar adds vibrant flavor to this salad without a hint of fat or sodium. With its intense and complex flavor, this vinaigrette is a perfect complement to the chicken, pineapple and spinach salad.
Number of servings
· 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each about 5 ounces
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained except for 2 tablespoons juice
· 2 cups broccoli florets
· 4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
· 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
For the vinaigrette
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
· 2 teaspoons sugar
· 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cut each chicken breast into cubes. In a large, nonstick frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
In a large serving bowl, combine the cooked chicken, pineapple chunks, broccoli, spinach and onions.
To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, reserved pineapple juice, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pour over the salad. Toss gently to coat evenly. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
· Total carbohydrate 8 g
· Dietary fiber 2 g