By Mayo Clinic Staff
This kid-friendly recipe is quick and easy for young cooks to prepare with just a little help from an adult.
Number of servings
· 8 ounces fresh part-skim mozzarella balls, about 15 balls
· 8 ounces grape or cherry tomatoes, about 10 tomatoes
· 10 large fresh basil leaves
· 10 fun party picks or any long toothpicks
· Balsamic vinegar (optional)
Cut each mozzarella ball in half. Set aside. Then cut the tomatoes in half and set them aside too. Tear each basil leaf into 3 or 4 pieces.
Stick the sharp end of a pick through one basil leaf. Then add a tomato half to the pick. After that, add half a mozzarella ball. Repeat by adding another tomato half, followed by another mozzarella half and finish with one more tomato half. Fill 9 more toothpicks in this way.
Eat as is or sprinkle a little vinegar on first.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size :2 items
· Total carbohydrate 3 g
· Dietary fiber 0.6 g
· Sodium 284 mg
· Saturated fat 5 g
· Total fat 7 g
· Trans fat 0
· Cholesterol 23 mg