Makes 12 cabbage rolls
Equipment you will need: Dutch oven, steamer basket, large mixing bowl, cutting board, knife
Do right away when you get home: Action steps 1 and 2
1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1. Cook rice according to package directions, enough for 1 ¼ cups. Brown ground beef until fully cooked and crumbled.
1 medium onion
2 ribs celery
2 large carrots
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp. butter
1 tsp. olive oil
2. Wash and finely chop onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Set aside.
3. Heat butter and oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped veggies and sauté 7 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
¼ cup canned mushrooms
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
4. Drain and rinse mushrooms. Place in large bowl, adding the cooked brown rice, hamburger and cooked vegetables. Cool slightly. Add freshly ground pepper. Mix. Set aside.
12 large Savoy cabbage leaves
5. Add water to a large Dutch oven to a depth of 2 inches; set a large vegetable steamer in pan. Bring water to boil. Add cabbage leaves and steam cabbage, covered, 6 minutes or until tender and flexible. DO NOT OVER-COOK. Remove cabbage from steamer (do not drain water). Rinse cabbage with cold water and pat dry.
6. Working with one cabbage leaf at a time, place ½ cup rice mixture in center of leaf; fold in edges and roll up. Repeat procedure with the remaining cabbage leaves and rice mixture to form 12 cabbage rolls.
7. Stack rolls evenly in steamer. Return Dutch oven to medium-high heat; bring water to a boil. Steam rolls, covered, 20-30 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1 ½ Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
8. In saucepan over medium heat, combine tomatoes, red wine vinegar, and sugar; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Serve sauce over rolls.