Wild Rice Blend
Makes 4 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: cutting board, sharp knife, sauté pan, medium sauce pan with lid Do right away when you get home: Action Step 1
2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
1 c. dry, unseasoned brown & wild rice blend
1 clove of garlic
1 medium onion
8 oz. fresh mushrooms
1 tsp. olive or canola oil
1 ½ Tbsp. teriyaki sauce
1. Combine broth and rice. Bring to a boil; reduce to low heat. Cover and cook according to rice package instructions, usually around 45 minutes (unless quick cooking rice is being used). Rice should be tender and liquid should be absorbed. Check rice during cooking process. Add additional water if needed.
2. While rice is cooking, wash fresh vegetables. Peel and mince garlic clove, dice onion, and wash and slice mushrooms.
3. Sauté garlic, onion and mushrooms with olive oil over medium heat, about 5-7 minutes or until any water released from the mushrooms has evaporated and onions are soft.
4. Once rice is cooked, stir in mushroom mixture.
5. Add teriyaki sauce and stir to combine.
Suggested Side Items: Your favorite salmon, grilled chicken breast or pork tenderloin recipe, steamed vegetables and a glass of milk
Tips: Look for jars of pre-minced garlic in your produce isle. Many interesting rice blends are available, and can be used. For example, look for Lundberg brand Wild Blend. 1-2 (4 oz.) cans of mushrooms can be used in place of fresh, if desired. Shopping list: Wild rice blend Mushrooms Chicken or Vegetable broth
Check for: Garlic Onions
Teriyaki Sauce Canola oil or olive oil