Stromboli-Gundersen Lutheran 500 Club
Makes 6 servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: bread pan or medium sized bowl, rolling pin, cookie sheet Do the morning of: Action step 1 Do right away when you get home: Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1 loaf frozen bread dough (see tips)
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. Italian seasoning
1/3 lb. deli ham, sliced thin
1/3 lb. deli roast beef, sliced thin
¼ lb. turkey pastrami, sliced thin
1. (the morning of) Place frozen bread dough in a pan prepared with non-stick spray. Cover with a clean dish towel. Allow to rise at room temperature about 8-10 hours.
2. (when you get home) Using a rolling pin, work into a 12x16 inch rectangle on a lightly floured countertop.
3. Sprinkle dough with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
4. Tear deli meats into pieces and layer on top of dough. 1/3 lb. shredded mozzarella cheese 6 slices Kraft Swiss cheese singles
5. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
6. Tear cheese singles, and layer.
7. Roll sandwich, jelly roll style, using the 16 inch side. Transfer onto a cookie sheet. 1 egg, beaten 1/8 tsp. garlic powder Marinara sauce
8. Brush dough with egg wash, work to seal edges and ends of dough. 9. Sprinkle with additional garlic powder, if desired.
10. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Suggested Side Items: fresh fruit and a side salad
Tips: Rhodes brand frozen bread dough works well, and is available in whole wheat or Italian varieties Look for reduced sodium meats to reduce total sodium. Aim to consume low sodium foods throughout the rest of the day to balance total sodium intake. Shopping list: Frozen bread dough Roast beef Ham Turkey pastrami Mozzarella cheese Swiss cheese singles Marinara sauce
Check for: Garlic powder Italian seasoning
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.