Crock Pot Mexican Tortilla Soup
Makes 8 (2 cup) servings
Getting started Equipment you will need: Crock pot or stock pot, cutting board, sharp knife Do right away: Action step 1
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
28 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
4 c. reduced sodium chicken broth
3 (4 oz.) cans diced green chilies
6 oz. frozen corn (1/2 bag)
3 Tbsp. cumin
2 (14 oz.) cans black beans
Light sour cream
1. Chop peppers and onion. Mince garlic. Place in crock pot.
2. Add crushed tomatoes, broth, green chilies, corn, and cumin to crock pot. 3 chicken breasts (about 8-10 oz. each) 3. Place chicken breasts on top of soup mixture.
4. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
5. Once cooked, remove chicken breasts and shred, using two forks. Add back into soup.
6. Rinse and drain beans. Spoon about 1/3 c. beans into each bowl along with soup.
7. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Suggested Side Items: Whole wheat cheese quesadillas and fresh fruit
Tips: Beans can be added into soup before cooking if your crock pot is large enough. However, because they are pre-cooked they are fine to add into soup at time of service. Mix remaining beans into soup before storing as leftovers. This soup can also be made in traditional fashion using a stock pot or Dutch oven. Dice and cook chicken first, then add remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Shopping list: Red and green peppers Crushed tomatoes Chicken breasts Chicken broth Canned green chilies Frozen corn Black beans Sour cream
Check for: Garlic Onion