LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A new hockey arena is in the works for kids in the La Crosse area.
The La Crosse Area Youth Hockey Association hopes to build on the old Trane site near the intersection of Lang Drive and Saint Andrew Street. Initial plans for the arena include three rinks, making room for hockey, ice skating, and curling.
Officials with the nonprofit say the arena would be open year-round, offering various sports clinics during the out-of-season months.
"When we've got young people having to take their kids all the way to Milwaukee or all the way to Minneapolis for hockey school, that's another impediment on creating the hockey environment in the Coulee Region,” said La Crosse Area Youth Hockey Association President Carl Miller.
The plan is still in very early stages. The nonprofit is working to raise money to buy the lot and build the facility.
- Viroqua chef nominated for highest honor in restaurant industry
- State to contribute $5 million to La Crosse Center renovations
- La Crosse Fire Department investigating two early morning fires
- Police searching for man who robbed Holy Smokes at gun point
- Warmer than average temperatures benefit area businesses, ski tournaments
- Kayaker found in river near Winona identified
- Democrat Kind not ruling out run for governor against Walker
- Wisconsin lawmakers ditch plans to end daylight saving time
- JJ Watt donates $10K to fund for family in Hwy. 30 wreck
- Area hotel damaged after bizare car crash