The vegetable aisle may look pretty, but it's not always the most popular spot in the supermarket.
"I absolutely don't like vegetables at all. I think they're disgusting."
"I don't like artichokes. Not my favorite."
Consumer Reports National Research Center asked people about 33 different vegetables. It turns out many people rarely venture beyond lettuce, potatoes, broccoli, carrots, and tomatoes. The least favorite vegetable - parsnips!183096
Believe it or not, the vegetables people eat can be influenced by their sex. Women, for instance, are more likely to eat yellow squash, celery, and broccoli. A favorite for men?
And it appears age can influence the vegetables you like.
"I'm not a fan of spinach."
Turns out thirty-somethings are much less likely to eat spinach. "Unfortunately there's a 'yuck' list when it comes to vegetables. People told us they rarely or never ate some of the ones that are really good for you," says Ginger Skinner of Consumer Reports.
Those include Swiss chard. Just one cup cooked gives you lots of iron, vitamins, and minerals that are important for growth and supporting your immune system.
"Bok choy and Brussel sprouts are also unpopular. But both are excellent sources of vitamins C and K and have folate," says Skinner.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US