The vegetable aisle may look pretty, but it's not always the most popular spot in the supermarket.
"I absolutely don't like vegetables at all. I think they're disgusting."
"I don't like artichokes. Not my favorite."
Consumer Reports National Research Center asked people about 33 different vegetables. It turns out many people rarely venture beyond lettuce, potatoes, broccoli, carrots, and tomatoes. The least favorite vegetable - parsnips!183096
Believe it or not, the vegetables people eat can be influenced by their sex. Women, for instance, are more likely to eat yellow squash, celery, and broccoli. A favorite for men?
And it appears age can influence the vegetables you like.
"I'm not a fan of spinach."
Turns out thirty-somethings are much less likely to eat spinach. "Unfortunately there's a 'yuck' list when it comes to vegetables. People told us they rarely or never ate some of the ones that are really good for you," says Ginger Skinner of Consumer Reports.
Those include Swiss chard. Just one cup cooked gives you lots of iron, vitamins, and minerals that are important for growth and supporting your immune system.
"Bok choy and Brussel sprouts are also unpopular. But both are excellent sources of vitamins C and K and have folate," says Skinner.
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- Competency hearing sought for Iowan accused of voting twice
- Fiberglass fire causes neighborhood evacuation
- Republican lawmakers differ on state superintendent race