They're colorful and alluring, but Consumer Reports says there's a potential safety
hazard with popular small toy balls and beads that expand dramatically in water. There
are many of those super-absorbent polymer balls on the market, although one was
recalled late last year—Dunecraft Water Balz.
It was recalled after an 8-month-old swallowed one. She was rushed to the hospital,
where doctors couldn't see anything on the X-ray. But in surgery they removed a ball
almost 1 1/2 inches in diameter from her small intestine. Her pediatric surgeon said, "If
nothing had been done, the intestines would have perforated, the child would have had
significant infection and sepsis, and could have possibly died from it."
Consumer Reports examined the recalled Dunecraft Water Balz fresh out of its
package. And then the identical ball that soaked in water for two days. Consumer
Reports also looked at tiny polymer beads that are still on the market, including Orbeez.
Though their full size is much smaller than the banned Water Balz, Consumer Reports
says that they also pose a safety hazard for small children. The products look a lot like
candy or gum, but they can expand enough within a few hours to block the intestine or
airway of a small child.
The Orbeez beads do carry warnings. On the front the package says, "Choking hazard
… not for children under three years." On the back it says, "Not suitable for children
under the age of five." Meanwhile Orbeez, whose beads are smaller than others on
the market, says its tests show the toy is "safe for the children for whom it is intended."
Orbeez says the balls should pass through their digestive tract. However, Consumer
Reports says all products of this type can pose a choking hazard or risk of a blocked
airway for any small child The Consumer Product Safety Commission says it's currently
investigating polymer balls and beads.
Although additional injuries have not yet been documented in the U.S., several have
been reported in other countries, including one fatality. All types of super-absorbent
polymer balls have been banned in Italy and Malaysia. The Consumer Product Safety
Commission says it regards "the incident involving the 8-month-old girl to be very
serious, and as a result CPSC staff are taking a broader look at this product class."
The balls are found not only in toys but are also sold widely as decorations. Consumer
Reports strongly urges that parents and caregivers keep those products out of the reach
of small children.
Complete Ratings and recommendations on all kinds of products, including appliances,
cars & trucks, and electronic gear, are available on Consumer Reports' website.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- You participated in the Women's March. Now what?