Scott's innovative tube-free roll—designed to eliminate cardboard waste—was one of
several that were hard to tear.
Another test, designed to determine how well a toilet paper breaks down, because
nobody wants toilet paper clogging the plumbing. The best toilet paper disintegrated
in seconds. But Charmin's Ultra Strong took the longest, more than a minute to break
And who wants a scratchy toilet paper? In a temperature-and-humidity-controlled room,
Consumer Reports sensory panelists size up the softness.
White Cloud 3-ply Ultra from Walmart topped the charts. It scored excellent for softness.
It's strong, and it breaks down quickly.
Not a Walmart shopper? Quilted Northern Ultra Plush came in second in Consumer
Reports' tests. It proved easy to tear and was very soft.
As for the eco-friendly toilet papers, none was great. But if living green is a priority,
Consumer Reports says try Seventh Generation toilet paper. While it's not super-strong,
it rated very good for softness and excellent for disintegration.
Complete Ratings and recommendations on all kinds of products, including appliances,
cars & trucks, and electronic gear, are available on Consumer Reports' website.
Subscribe to ConsumerReports.org.
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged Dec. 22 shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Search resumes for girl missing in western Iowa river