Gail Nielson is back at her local hardware store looking at paints for her
living room, after having a great experience repainting her bedroom.
"It looks like the room's brand new, a different room."
A new color can be an inexpensive way to get a whole new look, say the
experts at Consumer Reports. They recently evaluated 65 paints. But tester
Rico De Paz says steer clear of economy paint.
Rico De Paz
"A good price is a good thing, but stay away from really inexpensive paints.
None of our top picks were under 20 dollars."
But you don't need to spend top dollar either. In fact, Benjamin Moore --
which can cost as much as 68 dollars a gallon -- did well but was not top-
rated in Consumer Reports' latest paint tests.
The highest scores went to paints that cost half that. It's a new brand called
Clark and Kensington, and these paints are sold at Ace Hardware stores.
They go for around 33 dollars a gallon.
Rico De Paz
"It topped our ratings in the satin finish, that's durable and best for most
applications, and in the semi-gloss, that's great for trim. It was also among
the best in the flat finish that tends to hide surface imperfections better than
These Clark and Kensington paints left a smooth finish that resisted stains
and stood up to scouring, even after 1,000 passes with a stiff scrub brush.
Plus the Clark and Kensington paints are superb at hiding, which means you
can easily cover the old paint you're tired of looking at!
Rico De Paz
"It's also self-priming, so you can save some time and money by not having
to apply a primer coat when you paint over bare wood or wallboard."
And the fact that Gail Nielson could get paint at the local Ace store made the
job that much easier, too. ."
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017