On Farrow and Ball's website, these designer photos show off the beautiful colors of its paints. But the Farrow and Ball's paint is pricey, about 100-dollars a gallon. Consumer Reports compared Farrow and Ball to far less expensive paint from Home Depot and other stores.
All face the same tough tests. This checks for stain resistance. Stained swatches go into this scrubbing machine. To see how easily or not so easily the stains scrub off. And this test checks to see how well each paint can cover dark stripes. "It is very important to get good coverage from a paint because it will reduce the number of coats that you'll have to put on to cover the existing color."
The expensive Farrow and Ball paint couldn't cover well with one coat. You can still see the lines. Look how much better this 34-dollar Behr Paint from Home Depot did. And as for Farrow and Ball's beautiful colors, Consumer Reports sent a secret shopper to Home Depot to see how closely it could match a sample of Farrow and Ball with its Behr Paint.
Back at the Labs testers compared the color of the two paints using a colorimeter. Rico De Paz says, "They're very close." The color difference was within one-percent. As for the stain resistance test, the Farrow and Ball paint did do a good job, but so did the 34-dollar Behr paint.
In the end, the Satin enamel Behr premium plus Ultra earned top ratings.
Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union. Both Consumer Reports and Consumers Union are not-for-profit organizations that accept no advertising. Neither has any commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.
All Consumer Reports Material Copyright ©2014 Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
- Family to announce settlement in police shooting case
- Preschool teacher, 4-year-old recovering after ‘perfect kidney' transplant
- Winning numbers drawn in 'Powerball' game
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Minnesota House set for floor vote on Real ID
- Iowa mayor wraps up address with bluesy salute to his city
- Dayton blasts Trump's transgender bathroom reversal
- Ohio, Wisconsin kick start interstate talks on Trump effect
- Discrimination lawsuit against Rochester schools dismissed
- Fresh snow possible for American Birkebeiner