When Candy Fisher's dog, Chrissy, was attacked by a pit bull two years ago, she spared no expense getting her the best medical treatment at her vet.
"I don't even think about these things. I take her all the time because I want to be sure that she's taken care of," says Fisher.
Candy's not alone. Even during this recession, spending on pets grew to $48 billion last year. But Consumer Reports finds there are plenty of ways to tame your pet costs and still get good care.183112
First, comparison shop for veterinary care. A good benchmark is how much a vet charges for a physical exam.
"You probably won't find huge differences in the costs, but this could be a good indicator of other costs, such as major procedures that can add up to a lot of money," says Greg Daughterty of Consumer Reports.
Also, if your pet needs any medication, don't automatically buy the meds from the vet. Vets typically charge at least 100 percent more than wholesale and sometimes even more than that.
"Some medicines have an even bigger markup, like a whopping one-thousand percent markup on the antibiotic amoxicillin," says Daugherty.
And if your pet is taking a medicine that's also prescribed for humans, check into filling the prescription at your pharmacy. You may be able to save a lot of money. Also consider new money-saving options for flea and tick control treatments. Some highly effective ones are now available since the patent expired on a key ingredient in Frontline Plus.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviormental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks