"Your hummus has arrived …"
The hummus at this Greek restaurant is made fresh daily. And customers scoop it up on slices of pita bread.
"Hummus is great because it's very light It's actually very refreshing in warm weather. It's a perfect food. It's actually very nutritious."
But if you don't have a Mediterranean restaurant nearby, you can find lots of choices at your supermarket. Consumer Reports tested nine different ones from names like Cedar's and Sabra. Also tested -hummus from Trader Joe's and Archer Farms, sold at Target. Sensory panelists tasted the hummus by itself to size up the flavors and texture.419174
"A great-tasting hummus should taste freshly prepared, with a nice combination of chick peas, tahini, and fresh lemon and garlic," says Amy Keating of Consumer Reports.
Unfortunately, none of the hummus rated excellent. The lowest rated - Trader Joe's Smooth and Creamy Classic Hummus - tasted whipped and had a sour dairy flavor.
"Many of the store-bought ones lacked that fresh lemon and garlic flavor, which gives you that just-prepared impression, says" Keating.
But there were a few that rated very good, including two from Cedar's - the Naturally Delicious All Natural hummus and the Simply Delicious Original hummus. They're thick, creamy, and balanced, with moderate tahini flavors. And both can keep you satisfied until you can get your hands on some homemade hummus.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers