On your mark, get set, go!" Gyms are a great way to get in shape. But once the New Year's resolutions wear off, attendance drops. "People stop working out for all sorts of reasons. But lack of time and inconvenience are two of the most common. When you have an exercise machine at home, you eliminate both of those factors." Consumer Reports says treadmills are a great choice to help with weight loss, but if you're looking for something a little different, the labs also test rowing machines, spin bikes and ellipticals. "If you're just starting out or you have back, hip, or knee problems, an elliptical is a great alternative to a treadmill. It creates less impact on your joints and it can still give you a great cardio workout." After testing dozens of ellipticals, Consumer Reports says one from A-F-G - the 3-point-1-A-E for 11-hundred dollars - is a great choice. Spin bikes provide a good interval workout and are a popular gym class. Many want the convenience of having a spin bike at home. Consumer Reports recommends the Diamondback 510-i-c for 800 dollars. It has a built-in workout program that keeps you moving. Another option - a rowing machine. Peter Anzalone "Rowing machines provide a full body workout - both upper- and lower-body. It's non-weight-bearing, but it's still very strenuous, so it can burn a lot of calories." You do want to make sure it fits. The 900-dollar Concept2 Model D proved comfortable for both short and tall people.
All Consumer Reports Material Copyright ©2014 Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union. Both Consumer Reports and Consumers Union are not-for-profit organizations that accept no advertising. Neither has any commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Adams joins Nelson as latest question in Packers WR group
- Man arrested in apparent Hibbing homicide
- Walker sends letter in support of DeVos for education head
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Apostle Islands ice caves inaccessible to visitors
- Peaches and cheese: Governors place bet on Falcons-Packers